Attitude, your attitude, affects everything you do and every accomplishment you achieve, or dont achieve.
Pretty important so far
Some people dont think attitude is that important. Those people are wrong.
- Think about the five most successful people you know. Hows their attitude?
- Now think about Olympic athletes, entrepreneurs. How does their attitude affect their success and their outcomes?
- Now think about salespeople. When a successful salesperson loses a sale, they dont bring that bummed out attitude into the next sale.
- Now think about me. When I was selling Cutco knives (my first sales job), my manager had me call him in between each sale. I later realized that whenever I lost a sale he pumped me back up for the next one, and whenever I won a sale, he capitalized on the positive attitude I had to pump me up even stronger for the next one, but no matter what, I walked into my next sales call with a positive attitude and ready to win the sale.
- Now think about you. In life, there are negative aspects that can get in the way of your attitudeif you let them. Ever call a close friend or family member on the phone and they answer, hello in a very sad, deep tone? Obviously they are trying to tell you something without actually saying much of anything that everything is not okay. And their tone of voice can affect you, or not its your choice.
- Now think about how you respond. From an attitude perspective whats the best way to respond to their tone? The answer is, to ask a question that doesnt include the word, why. Asking why makes people defensive, and it tends to breed an answer thats not the whole answer. Think about the times that you have been asked why and why you dont give a full answer. Especially if its a parent, sibling or a very close friend.
- Now think about your family. Think about the person in your family who may be experiencing something at the moment the one who is always negative, the one who complains about everything, the one who never sees the positive first, but always finds whats wrong. The Kvetch. Cant identify one? Or maybe you have more than one? Most families have that person. If you cant identify them, hopefully, its not you.
THE POINT IS: While you cant control other peoples unhappiness, you CAN control yours.
Heres what you can do to build your attitude fortitude and attitude antioxidant immunity
- Your morning routine sets the tone for the day. Smile in your mirror, greet everybody in a friendly way, read something positive, write something positive, watch something positive.
- Clear your mind of the clutter created by unfinished items to do. Just write them down.
- Start happy. Approach everything you do with a positive mindset. Always. Shower happy. Brush your teeth happy. Pee happy. Be happy.
- Look good. If you look good, youll feel good and think good.
- Check in with yourself. Someone pissing you off? Why? How are you reacting? Make sure your actions and reactions are set to positive consistently.
- Help yourself. If you find yourself unhappy, ask yourself why. NOTE: asking yourself why is different than asking others. Be honest with yourself. Write about it to yourself.
- Use attitude antioxidants when you need them. Take a bath or shower, or steam shower if you can, listen to music, watch comedy on TV, go for a walk, work out. cmon, sweat a little, meditate. Whatever you choose, have fun and think fun.
ON THE DARK SIDE: If youre unhappy about some thing or some one, or have a negative mindset, you must first uncover why, and then discover what you need to change, do, act, or respond to make yourself happy. Do it.
If youre dealing with something specific that turns your attitude upside down, think about WHY its affecting you. Then think about how you will feel if the situation keeps occurring, but youre no longer impacted negatively. Think about whats preventing you from responding positively or taking positive action.
In my most inspirational city, Paris, there seem to be a lot of unhappy people. REASON: Theres no incentive to work hard or earn more. Are incentives enough to affect attitude? Would you be happier knowing that you could earn more or happier earning the same? (I choose incentive).
When in Paris, I always get together with my friend Nicole. The first thing I notice is her bubbly, sparkly personality, and her positive attitude and positive mindset she brings to everything. In fact, I dont just notice it, its contagious.
NOTE: You dont have to be in Paris to be positive, but it helps.
Charlie, my 4-month old puppy, is food incentivized. For the past few weeks, I could not get her to go up a flight of stairs. One day I offered her (kosher) salami, and she made it up a few steps at a time as long as the salami was in front of her. The next day, she ran up the stairs knowing the salami would be waiting for her.
Your past dictates your future. Your past experiences, your successes, and your failures all create, test and transform your attitude. Life, business, careers, family, all have their ups, downs, and twists.
ASK YOURSELF: How do you respond to any and everything that happens to you?
TELL YOURSELF: Have a little faith have a little faith in YOU that you can choose your attitude and change it however needed.
BE YOURSELF: Everyone else is already taken. (Oscar Wilde)